Thirty five persons lost their lives following a twin car bomb explosions on Saturday in Maiduguri, near Ngomari-Bulumkutu.
Eyewitnesses told newsmen that the bombs were neatly packaged inside a fire wood truck, believed to had taken-off from the Sambisa Forest in Dam Boa Local Government Area.
The eyewitness, Malam Mohammed Buba, said that the blasts occurred around 6 p.m. when most residents were preparing for the evening prayer.
“Nobody can say exactly how it happened, the first blast occurred just about 15 minutes before the second one.
“Only few people were injured by the first blast, but while people were trying to rescue the victims of the first blast, the second one occurred killing many people,’’ Mohammed said.
The Commissioner of Police in Borno, Alhaji Lawal Tanko, confirmed the blasts, saying that 35 bodies had been evacuated so far.
“We are still counting, so far we have counted 35 bodies. Our men are still working with rescue workers at the scene’’ Tanko said. (NAN)