The presidency has disassociated itself from the #IstandwithBuhari group, a group supporting president Buhari’s programmes and policies on fighting corruption and taking Nigeria to another level. Large number of President Buhari’s supporters on social media joined this group and were willing to be part of the one million march of the group by the end of the month. Recently some individuals on social media have accused #IstandwithBuhari group of being the same people who campaigned for former President Goodluck Jonathan.
A statement by presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, Friday, said the presidency also demanded that the persons behind the controversial #Istandwithbuhari group should stop using President Muhammadu Buhari’s name and that of his wife, Aisha Muhammadu Buhari to promote themselves and their activities.
#IstandWithBuhari, which formed just months into Mr. Buhari’s tenure and began canvassing support for the president, has been enmeshed in controversies lately.
In early March, its national coordinator Mustapha Ramalan resigned saying the group had derailed from its original path.
Reports says disagreement over the nine million march next led to the resignation of Mr. Ramalan, who is of the opinion that the nine million-man pro-Buhari march should be postponed because the government is still trying to pick up and hence should be given more time to justify the nine million-man march. Not this time.
Earlier this week the group was also accused of receiving donations from the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, who had attended at least one of the group’s solidarity rallies, and other government’s agencies.
The director general of the group, Chinedu Okpalanma, in a post on Facebook, however denied the allegations.